View Single Post
Old
03-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
This will be the going rate for #1 centres though..over the next few years at least..then it will go up. For the best, like Malkin, it will be approx. $10 million per.

$8 Million per season might seem like a lot right now, with the cap at $64 million next season, but as the cap goes up each year (and it will unless the Canadian dollar goes in the tank) that cap hit will become smaller and smaller. So next year, Getzlaf's cap hit will be 12.5% of the team cap. However, if league revenue increases at a similar rate as that from 2005 - 2012 ($39 million - $70 million), it wouldn't be a surprise to see the cap increase around $3 - $5 million per season.

So for example, 3 seasons from now in 2016, the cap could conceivably be $75 - $80 reducing Getzlaf's cap hit, as a percentage of the team cap from 12.5% to 10.5% - 10%. As time goes on, assuming NHl revenues increase at a similar rate, Getzlaf's contract value will diminish relative to Anaheim's total cap and should allow them to continue signing key RFAs and UFAs.

Personally I think it's a good contract once you consider the new rules with regards to contracts - no cap circumention, meaning no tacked on years at $1 - $3 million per year from years 12 - 15.

I understand your point about the contract looking better if the cap goes up. I just don't like the idea of needing that to take place for the contract to look good. I still don't think we've seen a contract signed under the new cba which reflects the changes in the cap. It seems like the contracts are pretty comparable to the older , higher cap.

I like the move made by Tom Brady. Sure he's rich and doesn't need a few extra million on his deal, but he also knows that if he takes too much of the pie, that his team might be worse for it.