The demographic of non sport fans
View Single Post
03-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
The simple reason woman like it more is that one is born into hockey. The big 3 get loads of casual fans, especially ones that switch by the seasons.
Anyhow as far as the non fans good luck with attracting them to hockey.
1) the sport is cartoonishly violent, how do you explain a fight in the first minute of the game? Seriously to someone in my generation a fist fight isn't something a civilized person does it's just not.
2) the fact that the sport is exceptionally elitist, atleast here in canada. Between the over agressive hockey dads/don cherry wannabe's, and sheer expense of travel+rink time, the private school image of many of the playesr and it's a wonder the sports even popular in canada.
3) Again even if ice time were free it's learning curve is far higher than say basketball or soccer.
4) watching sports as a spectator is a strange hobby in the best of circumstances. When you factor in cost of spectating, and the trouble finding games you wanna watch entry into hockey isn't easy. Especially when the play off's are in the spring.
5) Simple fact is there are tons of hobbies out there, when you find the reason you ignore them you'll have your answer. For me I can't understand how someone can go more than a week without going to a gym or playing guitar.
Anyhow this may seem like an anti hockey rant, but I think it's more of why I'm inclined to be against growing the sport. It's a niche sport, trying to force it on someone is absurd.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by HugoSimon