View Single Post
Old
03-09-2013, 11:52 PM
RabbinsDuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I like that your response to "Bowman was a mediocre GM" is to cite his list of coaching achievements like everybody in this thread doesn't already know them.

Bowman was absolutely a mediocre GM in Buffalo, even if he was the same coach he was everywhere else, and it had nothing to do with the state of the organization. Giving him control to move players he was beefing with (which I'm sure you know meant anybody at anytime) meant a lot of shortsighted moves, and he could never put together that franchise-redifining blockbuster no matter how hard he tried. He wanted to move up in the Stevens/Housely draft for example, but an in-the-red Capitals team decided to hold onto their pick.
No question Bowman was a mediocre GM at best - so he really does not belong in this conversation - but if given free reign it seems like he would have shipped off any player arriving to practice 5 minutes late. The best GMs have the the virtue of patience... Scotty Bowman severely lacked that.

Don't get me wrong though - I'd take 30 years of Bowman as GM over 2 years of Ned Harkness again.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote