View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Milbury's trade of Luongo for Dipietro made very little sense at that time. It looks 100x worse now. But even at that time he had the best young goalie in the game. I remember thinking that with a little luck Luongo could be in the mix for the 2002 Olympics at that time (he had to wait for the 2004 World Cup). What in the world was he thinking?
The only thing that I can possibly think of is that Dipietro was described as having superlative puckhandling ability, to the point that he'd immediately be one of the two the best in the league as soon as he made his debut (alongside Brodeur). It's not outside the realm of possibility that Milbury (who cycled through goalies to an extent rivaled only by the Flyers) may have simply narrowed the Devils' effectiveness at that time down to Brodeur's ability to generate transition.

It's not easy to think like a moron, but this is about the only thing I can think of that would explain why he'd dump Luongo (universally recognized as a franchise goalie prospect, on the verge of stepping in full-time) for someone who was three years behind the development curve.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote