View Single Post
Old
03-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
On a more positive note, I've been critical of Sherman, but to be honest, almost every rebuild has its roadblocks. Some of them are a lot worse than the ones we've had Sherman make.

Look at the Blackhawks in the middle of their rebuild:
2004 #3 Cam Barker
2005 #7 Jack Skille
2008 #11 Kyle Beach

Those are a LOT worse in terms of value wasted than moving Stewart/Shattenkirk for EJ/Siemens and Varly for F. Forsberg. In fact, Pat Kane was the only player from the 2007 draft onwards to play on the 2010 Hawks cup winning team.

Rebuilds can obviously be done in different ways and not all moves will pan out. I do think that a core of Duchene, Landeskog, O'reilly, EJ, Varly with good complimentary pieces in Stastny, Parenteau, Mcginn, Barrie is a pretty damn good start. We've run thin on prospect depth and valuable trade chips but that just means we need to be patient for a couple years, let our young guys develop, keep evaluating where our guys are as individuals as a team, keep trying to draft well and make good hockey trades and signings where you can. They won't all work out, and it'll take time, but I think that's only realistic.

After doing some more research into mistakes and ups and downs in other recent rebuilds I think I may perhaps have been too critical of Sherman in this thread. I'm not happy with him and still have my doubts as to his abilities to take this team the rest of the way but realistically he's kept pace with some other recent rebuilds.

Some of management's worst mistakes are really ones not related to acquiring the core - horrible inexperienced coaching, no goalie coach, apparently no nutritionist, not placing guys in the best possible position to succeed and develop.
Good points all around--I think the key is getting that core of talent in place, and you can overcome the occasional blunder. I think that's the difference between a rebuild in Chicago succeeding vs. a place like Florida where rebuilding seems like it's never ending.

It's true, the organization as a whole does not do the little things right. I hope they get with the system and correct that, but I'm none too confident with this ownership and management group in place.