Thread: Proposal: #BringBackBob
View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 12:55 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i've seen two columbus games this year one with bob vs. dallas and the other with mason in net and they were insanely competitive both games. like dominated and had opponents pinned in their end for huge chunks of time. they don't have crazy flashy players but the moves they made for nash were definitely an upgrade in terms of overall team play. and jack johnson is a beast. dude plays like 27 minutes a game. point is their not schlubs. we are a discombobulated mess right now. were not even in the same realm.
Jack Johnson is a "beast" in terms of the amount of minutes he plays. As far as his play in the defensive zone... no. He's horrendous in his own end and always has been. If you want a comparable player, think Carle but with a better shot and playing more minutes. Carle was probably slightly better defensively though.

As far as the entire defense goes, when you watch 1-2 games, your eyes can deceive you; you can catch a team on a good night. Case in point, if the only Avs game you saw this year was the one against the Blackhawks, you'd think Varlamov is one of the best goalies in the NHL, Duchene must be leading the point race, and the Avs must be comfortably in the playoff race. All of those assertions would of course be false, but limited sample sizes can lead you to such ridiculous points of view.

Columbus's defense is bad. Bob had to make 30 saves to get his first shutout. That's a terrible amount of shots to allow for a team that was allegedly playing good D. And yes, I know you still don't believe me, but shots on goal do correlate highly to scoring chances and goals scored.