View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Coburn has not played well this year for us, that's no secret. Although you could say the same thing about half our bloody roster . He's still a good defenseman though, he just shouldn't be relied on as a #1, which is essentially what's going on right now. He also fills a role (big, physical shutdown guy) that has become somewhat redundant on the Flyers, with the acquisitions of Luke Schenn and Nicklas Grossmann over the last year. One of the reasons we've struggled so much is because our defensemen struggle massively to skate the puck out of the zone and/or to make a good outlet pass. Edler solves that problem pretty well IMO.

So basically, it's the fact that we have guys on the roster who can do what Coburn does, but we don't have anyone who can do what Edler does; that's what it boils down to. But I'd be lying if I said his poor start to this season didn't play a role. Any time a veteran player struggles, fans are a little less hesitant to deal him and likewise any time a player plays above his head, fans say he's untouchable (Hartnell last year for example).
Do you think he would do good paired with Bieksa? Bieksa has played well with Hamhuis and Mitchell who are both similar to Coburn (I think).

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote