View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 05:26 AM
EbencoyE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Because the NHL is not actively negotiating for the WHC option doesn't mean you can infer it is bluffing on its Olympic rhetoric, one doesn't equal the other.
Actually it does. Otherwise you believe the NHL doesn't think there is any benefit to any international competition at all, which is quite foolish. Though even if they were seriously considering an alternative to the Olympics, it still doesn't change the fact that the Olympics offers far more than any alternative ever could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
HA! Right, the NHL is going to shut down for the World Championships. That is funny.
Exactly, hence why the anti-Olympic rhetoric is a bluff. Glad you got my point. The NHL obviously sees value in participating in international competition, especially in the world's biggest hockey event. No other event could possibly replicate the Olympics and that is why the NHL will continue to release players to them for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Actually he is 100% right. Without looking it up, can you tell me when and where the 2013 Gymnastics World Championships will be held this year? Track or Swimming World Championships? Can you name one event where Phelps or Bolt participated between the 2008 and 2012 summer olympics? How'd they do at those events?
Me personally? No. I'm not sure how that is relevant though. I'm not sure how you can seriously doubt that Phelps and Bolt didn't bring more attention to the non-Olympic competitions they participated in due to the Olympic brand that made them household names.

Just because those non-Olympic events weren't as closely followed as the Olympics themselves doesn't mean they had no impact on the attention they did receive.

Last edited by EbencoyE: 03-10-2013 at 05:39 AM.