Thread: Prospect Info: Official 2013 Draft Thread
View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I don't see any plausible way the Blues can get to the range they'd need to draft in, in order to select Gauthier. I see him as a probably top 5 pick, certainly a lottery pick, and the only way the Blues get into that range is to make a move that guts the depth they've built.

Nichushkin/Zykov are far more reasonable targets. Of the two, I'd prefer Zykov simply for the fact that he's already here and not locked into a contract with a KHL club.

If the Blues are going to continue to draft Europeans, they need to draft Europeans who are already making themselves familiar with the North American style of play and who will step right into the NHL after a year or two in major junior or college.

No more of this wasting high picks on drafting Soderbergs and Barulins who refuse to cross the pond and refuse to play in the AHL.
Right now Gauthier is an 8-15 range pick. He might well go 8th/9th/10th, but if he doesn't we should be doing everything we can to move up. Unless something pretty significant happens between now and the draft, he won't be top 7. MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan and Shinkaruk are all pretty comfortably ahead of him at this point. Ristolainen, Nichushkin, Pulock, Nurse and Zadorov is probably the next group of guys he is in with.

I really don't see the issue with taking Russians these days. The quality players come over when they are good enough for the NHL, and it tends to be sooner rather than later. Kuznetsov is an exception to some degree, but he'll be over in the summer of 2014. Nichushkin has top 5 talent, and if he slips down to the middle of the round, then it is a risk well worth taking providing we like what we heard in the interview.

Of course, depending on where we are picking, moving up to get both would be a stretch. We'd likely have to give up our first, both seconds and Rattie. Won't happen, but I can hope

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote