Thread: Prospect Info: Official 2013 Draft Thread
View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 10:45 AM
tfriede2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Right now Gauthier is an 8-15 range pick. He might well go 8th/9th/10th, but if he doesn't we should be doing everything we can to move up. Unless something pretty significant happens between now and the draft, he won't be top 7. MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan and Shinkaruk are all pretty comfortably ahead of him at this point. Ristolainen, Nichushkin, Pulock, Nurse and Zadorov is probably the next group of guys he is in with.

I really don't see the issue with taking Russians these days. The quality players come over when they are good enough for the NHL, and it tends to be sooner rather than later. Kuznetsov is an exception to some degree, but he'll be over in the summer of 2014. Nichushkin has top 5 talent, and if he slips down to the middle of the round, then it is a risk well worth taking providing we like what we heard in the interview.

Of course, depending on where we are picking, moving up to get both would be a stretch. We'd likely have to give up our first, both seconds and Rattie. Won't happen, but I can hope
Agreed on Gauthier...I have seen some draft rankings which have him sliding into the 20's, and others where he is moving up to near 10. Who knows where he will go, but I would probably pass out if he is in the top 5.

Also agreed on Nichushkin...if, for some reason, he is available when we pick, I would be all for getting him. This is where having Tarasenko should be a great thing, although Capitals fans thought the exact same thing with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov (they were certain that Kuznetsov would be there by this year b/c of Ovechkin). Nonetheless, Nichushkin appears to be getting better reviews (at least ranking-wise) than Tarasenko was getting, plus he's a centerman that we need (and I'm sure we'll still need in 2-3 years when he comes to the NHL). In short, I'm on the Nichushkin train.

Wennberg could be available when we pick, and he appears to be a great fit as well.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote