Thread: Speculation: It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved
View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 10:51 AM
ALee10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
It's fun to speculate about trades, but the absolute first order of business would be for the owners to trade themselves so we get some real owners who understand that in today's NHL spending to the cap is essentially a prerequisite for postseason success. And vice versa. Even a casual fan can see that. Even a team with young (read: cheap) talent will have to spend. We're not doing it, so the panthers' business model does not place on-ice performance as a critical measure of success. Ultimately, the owners (the ones with real control, not Viner) don't give a crap about how well the team does.
I don't think that's necessarily true. The Penguins are almost 10M below the cap and they're pretty good whereas the Rangers are at the cap and they're fighting to stay alive. It's not about spending money, it's about spending smart and drafting smart. Now that the league is becoming inundated with younger players though, it's that much easier for an 18 year old kid to enter the league and make an impact.

Don't be so rash with clearing out guys like Fleischmann or Kopecky, they're glue guys that make the team work. One bad year doesn't undo how great Flash was last year or the year before with the Caps/Avalanche. Build steadily through the draft, do you realistically feel like the Panthers are close to being Stanley Cup contenders? These problems take time to solve and Tallon has done it before, have some faith in him.

Everytime I think of trading smart I think of the Capitals acquiring Federov for Theo Ruth from Columbus, that might be one of the best trades in the last 5 years and it cost nothing to acquire.