View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I think it would be a big mistake to move some of our more core players just because we had an off year.

Players like Flash, Versteeg, Kopecky, Goc and even Weiss are key contributors to this team who I think can help provide some stability to this franchise so that the youngsters can come up in a proper environment. This has been a bad year, but I'm fairly confident that this is not reflective of the effort these guys have put forward throughout their careers.

Next year will be year 3 of the "blue print" and we need to be set up for success next year, not several years down the road with late 1st or 2nd rounders. If this team does poorly again next year, I can see some big problems with the fan base, management, etc. We need some stability and certainty, not another merry-go-round of players.

Also, replacing players in free agency is not as easy as some of you may think. This year's free agency pool is not very good, it is going to be a seller's market out there so the free agents will be going where they want and paid what they're asking. This means that we will have a lot more competition for free agents and it would be difficult for us to replace the assets we trade away.

Players I would be will to part with and who I think would have some valueare Santorelli, Parros, Kuba, Kovalev, Weaver. These guys can bring us some 3rd or later round picks which should help build our prospect pool a bit.
So it will be just like two years ago? That's what makes me laugh, a year ahead of time everyone says "next summer's free agency market is going to be awesome!" and then several players get re-signed and then "it's weak". The truth of the matter is, it's pretty much the same every year. We signed a lot of the top FA's on the market two years ago, and beat out a lot of the competition to do so. We won't need nearly as many this summer. It's far from a crisis situation if we trade away a few guys.