View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Off-topic, but I still can't believe that people are hating on Gionta when over an 82 game season he would be on pace for 26 goals and 47 points while providing such a solid two-way (in fact I would say him + Plekanec is part of the reason why the two-way game from the forward group is so successful).

Sometimes I wish fans could look past cap hit and height when judging a player's value.
Agreed. I've always advocated keeping Gio. Even when he isn't producing, he provides shut-down line quality minutes (plus leadership). He's probably a bit overpaid, but Montreal isn't even approaching cap trouble before his contract expires. His contract is a non-issue to the team. I understand the need for size, but when people mention guys like Clowe (WAY to slow) and Clarson (never going to happen/isn't worth the price) I wonder just how much teams like the Bruins and Leafs. This team is top-10 in hits, they may not have size, but they aren't going to get pushed around a lot. No point in trying to dismantle the core with a band-aid solution.