View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I think the draft is tiered in a similar way to 2006, but find comparisons to current players somewhat redundant.

Wennberg should be mentioned, as should Zadarov. These two players are certainly mixed with the guys above.

I still think this draft has a Top 6 and then the wildcard in terms of talent. Nichushkin is a clear candidate to fall, however he's having a brilliant finish to his year. Dominant at an U-18 tournament and now producing well in the KHL. He's by far the hardest player to peg in this draft. He has the best physical package in this draft, but questions over hockey sense and his nationality loom large. I wouldn't consider taking him above the Top 6, who i all i see as impact players who are also somewhat safe. After 6, assuming due diligence is done, i'd seriously consider Nichushkin. Waiting 2-3 years doesn't bother me either (Infact, not drafting him because of his contract in Russia is stupid, you're looking at having a player for 15-20 years, so 2 years of good development elsewhere is a concern why?).

Nichushkin isn't the same level of prospect that Tarasenko and Kuznetsov are however IMO. Kuznetsov is IMO the best prospect outside the NHL. His skillset is almost unique. Kuznetsov is a better prospect than Tarasenko, it's just funny how the hype has worked out. I think Tarasenko will be a PPG winger no doubt, but Kuznetsov has truely top end potential.
I forgot Zadorov. I guess Wennberg is in that mix as well.

I don't think waiting at least 2 years for Nichushkin is the problem, but it's just the fact that he chose to sign a 3 year extension in the KHL in his draft year. That displays that he's not interested in coming to the NHL anytime soon. It's just another thing to scare a team off. I'm not trying to overblow it, but it's a factor. It doesn't mean that he's not interested in the NHL, it just leaves doubt is all. But hopefully the teams that are interested in him would get some answers before the draft. From a fan's perspective though, Russian players from overseas always worry one a little.

It's hard to imagine Kuznetsov being better than Tarasenko, but we'll see. I would state that he has more pure skill than Tarasenko, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a better NHL player. He'll definitely be one to watch when he does come over though, especially possibly playing with Backstrom.