View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I think everyone here is remembering Tom Gilbert with rose colored glasses. The guy was a giveaway machine, hurt himself whenever he tried to play physical and was pretty much useless in our own zone.

The problem with Nick Schultz is that he is being played too much and in situations where he shouldn't. The real question to me is, how in the hell would our defense be better off with Gilbert, considering we would then have Gilbert, J. Schultz, Petry, Potter, and Whitney as offense first (or offense only) guys and Smid, Peckham and Fistric as defense guys. There is little enough balance on this team as it is.

Even if Gilbert IS better, I don't think he's much better, and Schultz fit the team needs we had at the time.
How on Earth was a guy a "giveaway" machine that played 5 full seasons, something like 360GP, here, and fared much better than the vast majority of his teammates considered that way?

Whatever mistakes Gilbert by and large he played a game effective enough that in his CAREER here he was a total combined -27 on a club where some players would hit -40 in ONE SEASON.

What has to be remembered is that Gilbert played for years on the absolute worst team in the league. In a year in which the club had a -80 differential, and Gilbert was playing 23mins night, he was logging half the EV minutes the team had. He was -10 on that club. We had guys that were minus 35 that year for perspective that played far less minutes.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote