View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 02:45 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
The problem is 4 first round picks have less than a 50% chance to pan out. Plus given the flames track record at drafting I would say it's even lower. This way, we speed up the rebuild, stay competitive and are more likely to get players who pan out.

In the end, I wasn't trying to show what we should trade for (though in my mind getting the Schenn brothers would be awesome) but that we could get good prospects with other pieces and that trading Iginla becomes excessive. We only need and can take so many prospects and picks. We just need a couple to turn this team around and that can happen quickly. Plus we need a veteran presence to lead and teach the kids. Jarome could do that for us.

Also personally, I would much rather have the record of staying on one NHL team for my whole career than be traded and win the cup else where. Shane Doan agrees with me, and is the big reason why he chose to stay in Phoenix even though he got tons of offers last off season. Since Iginla and Doan are close friends, I feel Iginla thinks the same way. The only reason he said he is willing to waive his NTC is because of all the pressure on him from the fans and the media.
I disagree that it speeds up the rebuild as all we have done is eliminate our defense at the expense of our offense, so then we have to trade forwards for defensemen and we end up with a team of rookies.

And one of those pick is our pick this year and at this rate it could be a top 5 pick which has a greater than 50% of becoming an nhl player. As for the other 3 first rounders, sure they are not sure things but I have liked our drafting under Feaster so I would rather take that risk and try to build our team from within so we don't have to overpay every team and UFA to come. At some point we have to develop our own players we can't simply be trading for other teams players all the time.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote