View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Carlyle is an excellent x's and oh's coach. In the middle of a game, behind the bench, he uses his personnel about as well as anyone.

The issue is he's terrible at managing his roster going into games. As mentioned, he often puts the wrong players into the lineup and on the wrong lines, and doesn't recognize who would fair better and worse against certain types of teams.

He does like to stick with the same lineup over long lengths of time, though, and that's important, IMO. The biggest issue I had with Wilson was that he messed around constantly with the lineup after even the slightest bad game. Just look at Kadri and MacArthur for why doing that isn't very smart.

In all honestly, outside of style (he's much more defensive-oriented), Carlyle and Pat Quinn are extremely similar coaches. As much as I toot Reimer's horn, he's no Curtis Joseph or Ed Belfour. I think if the Leafs had goaltending like we're getting from Reimer in the Quinn era, we'd have a lot of the same complaints about his coaching style as we have today.