View Single Post
Old
07-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Netro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glace Bay 'Bye View Post
Is everyone forgetting that the year before Gomez's breakout season, he had a whopping 13 goals in the East Coast Hockey League? He also played over 60 some odd games that year. This kid is not a natural goal scorer, and the comments about his 33 goals being an abberation are dead on.

Expecting 33 goals / 80-90 points out of Gomez would be a mistake. 15 goals, 60-70 points would be his expected norm, and we can get that out of Riberio for cheaper and certainly out of Higgins within a year or two...again for cheaper. Would be a waste of huge waste of money. If we're going to take on a 5 million dollar salary, a top 2 defenseman is the biggest need, not a playmaking centre as we already have two good ones.

I look at Gomez a lot like Bobby Carpenter in 84/85 when he scored over 50 goals / 90 points. He was near out of the league the next year and struggled to try to reach something he shouldn't have attained in the first place. He did rebound and stuck to his strenghts (great defensive hockey) and managed to carve out a good career thereafter.

I think Gainey's too smart to pay that much for something we already have a lot of. As a matter of fact, I think Lou's too smart as well.

We'll see.....

I agree and disagree with your post. First, yep, $5 mil is a lot for Gomez and I don't think Gainey will go for that. Second, Gomez is not a natural goal scorer (though I remember a beaut he scored on the Habs last season after splitting the D) but a hell of a playmaker. I wouldn't expect 30 goals out of him, but 20 goals 60 assists would be a valid expectation. He is still young and I expect him to get better. By no means do I expect his offense to disappear like Bobby Carpenter.

But, Gomez is heads and tails better than Ribs, and though I know you didn't directly compare the two in your post, only indirectly via expected point totals, Gomez would bring much more to the game. Gomez is a much better skater, is stronger on his skates, has great playmaking skills and vision and is a solid 2-way player. Yes, Ribs has great vision as well, but Ribs lack of footspeed and size hurts his ability to execute. Gomez also plays well in the playoffs and Ribs 2 playoff seasons thus far have been subpar.

So, would I want Gomez on the Habs? Yes. At $5 million/year? No. That said, I don't want Ribs on the Habs, especially at $1.9 million/year.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote