View Single Post
Old
07-27-2006, 09:55 AM
paddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
"That guy" is extremely difficult to get. The stars may not align again in the manner they are now, in order to get a player like Gomez, who at least is comparable to "that guy".

This seems like a reasonably good opportunity, provided that the cap can be managed now, and more importantly our salary structure maintained when we need to resign the Markovs and Sourays next year.

That said, I just don't see LL dealing with the Habs for someone who may become the cornerstone of their offence. There are probably better partners out west for him.

Edit: I can't abscribe my reasoning to anything specific, except that he did roughly as well in Elias' absence, but I don't see his performance last year as an aberration.

Edit2: a Gomez should cost about 4-5 million. Perhaps not worth 6, but 5 is not unreasonable to me. Conversely, if we had groomed our own Gomez, we sure would be ticked if Gainey let him go at 5 mil to someone who gave him an offer sheet of that magnitude. Our thinking then would be: pay the guy! That tells me that 5 million may not be unreasonable, and that the arbitrator perhaps didn't pull this number completely out of his *ss.
Exactly. People on these boards keep dreaming about a Mega mega superstar to come here. The chances of that are very slim. They don't want a guy like Gomez, yet they'll complain about the Habs not having a true #1 centerman. Good luck on winning the cup with Koivu, Ribeiro and Plekanec. See you in the next rant.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote