Old
03-10-2013, 07:44 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
A lot of the 2006-07 Jackets' key players were past 30 and on the decline (Fedorov, Vyborny, Foote, Norrena). His predecessor had traded away Beauchemin for an aging Fedorov, and traded McQuaid for a 5th round pick. There weren't many young players or prospects to get excited about, save Zherdev and Mason.

Howson at least - briefly - made the Jackets a playoff team before blowing up the team for another rebuild. He did make a number of good trades, such as the ones for Umberger, Vermette, Tyutin, and Torres. Even recently he managed to acquire a decent 3rd line centre and two top-4 defencemen (Letestu, Nikitin, Wisniewski) by trading a 4th, 4th and 5th rounder. He had the misfortune of seeing Carter and Wisniewski, his two big acquisitions, get injured in the opening weeks of the 2011-12 season, contributing to that team being so bad and Carter wanting out.

In hindsight, his only real bad moves were: 1) selecting "bust" Filatov at 6th overall, 2) making Mason his starter, and 3) firing Hitchcock. I think Howson at least beats the likes of Maclean and Milbury.
Agreed. You could even make an argument he made more good moves than bad ones (not sure how much water that holds). Mason did win rookie of the year so understandably they were worried about giving up on him in case he could replicate that form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Milbury's trade of Luongo for Dipietro made very little sense at that time. It looks 100x worse now. But even at that time he had the best young goalie in the game. I remember thinking that with a little luck Luongo could be in the mix for the 2002 Olympics at that time (he had to wait for the 2004 World Cup). What in the world was he thinking?
Again like I said, that day was possibly the worst day any GM had in recent memory; he doesn't make that trade and they have Luongo and Jokinen instead of Kvasha and Parrish, and then instead of selecting DiPietro, he could have taken Heatley or Gaborik. Even with those bad moves, the islanders got decent the next 2 years so if he followed the general consensus, the isles may have been contenders before the lockout.

But despite having no budget pre-cap, he got them to the playoffs twice. That alone was enough to put him over Maclean in my books who spent 8 years there and only savvy move was taking the best player 1st overall in 2002.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote