View Single Post
Old
07-27-2006, 11:02 AM
StorminZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
The odds are that Pereiro is probably cheating too. At this point it would be silly to assume that atleast 80% of the peleton is doping (probably higher) and just about all the main competitors.

It's gotten so bad that success itself is about as bad as failing a drug test. Even if the evidence on Amrstrong is shaky, we know he was doping because he dominated guys that we now know where doping (Ulrich, Basso, Mancebo, ect.)

I assumed that Landis (and all the top contenders) where doping befoe the tour started, and once we saw him at the top of the leader board I knew it was the case.

It's a shame because I really enjoy following cycling, but it's hard to maintain interest in a sport in which you know just about everyone is cheeting.
I don't necessarily agree with your conclusions (or the logic you use to arrive at them), but I recognize (and can understand) the suspiciousness that fans will have with sports that have had their 'doping' issues ... see cycling, track, baseball, cross-country skiing ... unfortunately, such suspicion -- no matter how well founded -- can and will unfairly taint the truly innocent athlete. I do not agree that because an athlete dominates a sport that he/she is necessarily cheating, however, in this sporting era where cheaters have clearly been exposed, it is near impossible for athletes from any sport today to escape the eye of suspicion (see Dick Pound when it comes to our beloved sport, hockey). Adding to this dilemma, the methods for cheating are sometimes one step ahead of the efforts to catch them, so even the seemingly innocent are not really innocent -- it's that they just did not get caught ... this time ... I think that is what many suspect of Lance Armstrong. However, suspicion alone is not a verdict of guilty and that is something -- although we need to maintain -- will be hard for sports fans to keep in perspective.

StorminZ is offline   Reply With Quote