Thread: Player Discussion: Alexander Ovechkin
View Single Post
Old
03-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Vegeta

vCash: 50
Pens fan coming in peace, just offering my own analysis on Ovechkin. Everyone in the world saw OV turn in some of the greatest pure goalscoring seasons of all time, and while the peak age of goal-scorers is about 23, players don't just fall off a cliff like OV has. It's become quite evident ever since the 2010 Olympics that OV's head just isn't in the game.

Call it a lack of motivation, a sense of defeatism, hopelessness, or whatever, it's clear as day that OV isn't playing the game as well as he should be. The talent certainly hasn't left him, as in every Pens-Caps game he still turns on the fireworks and looks incredible. I just believe that a history of hype followed by disappointment has destroyed OV's confidence in his game, and in his team.

Everyone expected the Caps to have at least made a SCF by now, and most people expected Russia to be a favorite for the Gold Medal. When crushing failures occur, the media and the fans always lay the most blame on the "face of the failure". Every level of organized hockey OV has played in, OV has been the face of his team. When his team loses, people just tend to lay the blame on him. I think this caused him to snap. He needs a culture change, whether that be a roster and management turnover in Washington, or being traded to a new team. The talent is still there, the will is not.

Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote