View Single Post
Old
12-22-2003, 08:42 AM
NWT Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Good riddance to all those UFA's (except Langdon who I would look to keep) and non-tender Traverse, Blouin and Dwyer. Sundstrom is also a potential non-tender since he would make close to 2 million and that's alot for what he brings IMO.
I agree, Marc. I would add Jarventie to the list on non-qualifying offers as he clearly does not have North American pro plans any more, and the Habs have decent and much younger defensive depth in the system right now. I would also look at Sundstrom and maybe do a "Kilgeresque" deal as Boutmania suggested. $2M is a lot for him, but he is a role player that all teams need. He also really picked his game up when paired with Begin, and that is our likely #3 centre next year IMO.

The other mystery is Bob Gainey's plans for the Bulldog goaltending situation. He has a decent tandem in Fichaud and Damphousse, so I can see them signed for another one year (not too much money being tied up between them). However, there are some good young goalies in the system (Michaud in the ECHL and the young Euros like Puurula, Halak, and Heino-Lindberg) that management will eventually want to see promoted to the AHL. Puurula, at 21 and not getting the same ice time as last year, may be better served to get good #2 duties in Hamilton rather than playing backup in the Finnish league. Food for thought.