Thread: Speculation: It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved
View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 06:23 AM
pantherbot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
You make it sound like we are going to trade our whole team though. Most teams bring in and cycle out a few new players every season. I don't see the big deal. The biggest thing that would happen probably is one of Flash or Versteeg traded. MAYBE both. And then a few of our scraps, some of which we wouldn't have brought back anyway. It's not like Flash and Versteeg are doing anything right now anyway. They wouldn't be that hard to replace. Versteeg thinks he's Pat Kane and either turns the puck over or makes some useless move and loses the puck in the corner 99% of the time. Flash has always been inconsistent and lax on defense. I really have no interest in seeing if they will rebound next season. Bringing in new blood can't hurt. We'd have plenty of money to spend with their salaries gone.

We finished 3rd to last two years ago, and we brought in a ton of free agents. They've been here two seasons, that's not yesterday. I don't think even an outside observer could say they've been anything but disappointing this season, I don't think it would reflect badly on the organization if they were traded now.
What you specifically said just a few posts ago was that "Most of the players on our team can be replaced in free agency. They are not that unique. We did it once, we can do it again."

That made it sound like you want to replace most of our team. If you're thinking of trading away a few players, that's fine and normal for a team that isn't going to make the playoffs.

You also have to remember that two years ago, it was Tallon's first year here, there was a lot of optimism surrounding the team and a lot of buzz. That buzz is now gone and has moved on, so it may not be as easy as you think to replicate our success in signing free agents. Remember that before that frenzy two years ago, we had been abysmal in attracting talent.