View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 08:30 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
The team played much better once the thumb of Maclean and the piercing gaze of MacLean was off them. Howson did make some good signings that offseason with Hejda and Novotny.

Now, I'm not going to compare what Ken Hitchcock did here roughly two seasons to what Richards is doing now, but there's something to be said for maximizing what you have in your room. Richards is squeezing every drop of everything out of these guys despite injuries to key, key guys.

Ultimately, it will fall to Jarmo. I'm sure he has a good idea of what he wants in a team, a notion that Scott Howson didn't either have when he came on board or was content to build on Hitch's vision until Howson was convinced that vision wasn't NHL-sustainable anymore.

This is a nice story right now, And like someone mentioned in the GDT, I would probably call this season a success if Detroit misses the playoffs and we can point to the series with the CBJ as the reason. But I'm not getting too attached to what is here, we've seen it with the "first year coaches", they succeed a lot of time simply because the message is different. The real challenge is sustaining your message while still having the players buy in.

Be it this offseason or next, I still don't think Richards' contract will be renewed. I still think changes are coming to the lockerroom.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 03-11-2013 at 08:45 AM.