View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Josefson and a 1st(15th-20th) for Schneider and a 2nd(50th-60th)

Let's not kid ourselves goalies, never ever bring back big returns.
Okay, that's simply not true.

First, when was the last big name goalie moved? It really doesn't happen often, as typically if a team has a legit top 10 goalie they are not looking to move him. Because of this you can't really state that a big name goalie "never" brings back a big return.

Second, when we look at younger goalies who have been traded the return is all over the map. The Halak deal is widely disputed as a bad trade for Montreal, and it's commonly argued that Montreal could have received more in that deal had they shopped Halak properly. Then at the other end of the spectrum there's Varlamov, who was traded for a 1st & 2nd round draft pick. More recently still there's Lindback, who was traded for two 2nd round picks and a 3rd rounder. Out of all of the goalies listed above, Schneider has the highest value and potential.

I will say this: the market for goalies is cyclical. Meaning Gillis will need to be patient with this deal, just as he has been. He will also have to have the foresight to act when the timing is right however, and some argue that his best chance was last offseason when he still had some leverage. I'm not sure I agree as it's impossible to know what kind of offers were on the table. If there isn't a market for goalies now, that could change suddenly. We have until the start of next season to make a deal, so we do have some time still.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote