Thread: Value of: David desharnais
View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Drydenwasthebest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
We're playin well no doubt but you have rose coloured glasses on. We're an unbalanced team for the playoffs:
-We have three shrimps in our top 6. The playoffs are a battle. And size matters.
-Two of those players, Desharnais and Gallagher, have never been in the playoffs.
-We have two rookies with immense skill but they're that, rookies.
-Bourque is out with a concussion. We don't know how he'll come back.
-Moen shows up in the playoffs but we haven't seen him yet this season. He might not even make it to the trade deadline.
-We have one hitter on the back end. We need to add 1-2 more.
-Diaz hasn't played in the playoffs. We don't know how he'll do.

There are a lot of question marks and in my opinion we're 2-3 years away. I'm not saying we won't compete, I'm saying we're not a contender. Who knows, maybe we'll surprise.

Don't let tempered expectations of other fans get to you so much. It's not healthy to care that much about hockey. If you're tired, take a nap.
If you're a Parrot, go eat a cracker.

Other people don't have "tempered" expectations...unless you call the expectation that we are going to lose "tempered". Other people have this fantasy in their heads that our team is still "x" years away when the reality is that we are a contender right now. We were a contender 2 years ago and only fell short against the Bruins because Markov and Pacioretty were injured. If we have either one of them we win that series, even with Daddy Campbell cheating for his son's team. That was then.

This year we have the best of that year, PLUS we have Pacioretty and Markov, PLUS we have Prust, Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Bouillon. THIS is a better team. It is already a "contender", look up the definition of the word and you will see I am correct. Is it a favourite? No. DOes it have some needs? Yes. Are those needs impossible to attain? No. All we really need is a strong power forward who can hit and fight (Clowe or Clarkson would do well) and a defenceman who can hit, clear the net, and fight (Stoner would fit the bill). We are a couple of pieces away from being as good as any other team in the league. Guess what? Each of the other "elite" teams are also a couple of pieces away from being perfect, too. Pittsburgh and Chicago need to get their goalies in order and some kind of secondary piece (Chicago could use a top 6 center, Pittsburgh needs a good winger), as an example of favourite teams that also have needs.

No team is perfect. Yes, Boston would be a tough draw, but we have beaten them and lost to them in the past, regular season and playoffs. We need to be healthy more than we need to trade away important pieces like DD or Gionta because of their lack of size. Go and see how those "little" guys are performing for our team. They sure play bigger than their size would indicate. Yes, size is important, and I am not blind to that. However, there are other things that are equally important. Give me the smaller Gionta over the bigger Bourque every day of the week. I know who wants to win more and will do everything possible to do so.

So, we ARE contenders (maybe if I act like a Parrot you will understand the repetition since you use it so well). What we need are a couple of pieces to put us over the top. Guess what? So does every other team in contention.

Maybe I will go take a nap, now. I am, after all, "tired".

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote