View Single Post
Old
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
StorminZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Again hind-sight is great. The Habs were looking for a big 1st line center (hmm where have I heard that before) and the natural choice was Wickenheiser.

Had they picked Savard and he would have crumbled under the "must learn to play defence first" philosophy of the Canadiens as opposed to the free-wheeling he was allowed in Chicago, I wonder would the nay-sayers would be talking about today.
I remember very well the day Dougy was drafted. Living near Regina and being a Habs fan and all, I was elated ... but also naive. In hindsight, drafting Dougy was not a good mix ... consider the Habs were coming out of their late 70's domination ... a team with strong French-Canadian players ... then drafting a prairie boy over a highly touted French-Canadian boy ... the pressure on Wick in Montreal had to be tremendous ... not an enviable situation. The rest, they say, is history and whether Doug's career, and Denis' for that matter, would be significantly different had the draft went the other way is a subject we can only debate now.

BTW, I was at the Pat's game when they held a memorial service for Doug ... very emotional night ... the fans in Regina have always remembered Wick ... he was a great player for them.

StorminZ is offline   Reply With Quote