Thread: O'Neill
View Single Post
Old
12-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I'm under the impression that a major need for Carolina is a experienced and proven powerplay quarterback from a team that is able to take a defenseman (i.e. Boughner, Hill, Ward, Wallin) in return. The player doesn't have to be as responsible on defense as any of those guys, but it would certainly be helpful. If Carolina finds themselves in playoff contention by the time the trading deadline comes around, i'd expect them to make a big pitch for Roman Hamerlik. So thats pretty much the type of defenseman i'd believe we could use. I'm not sure as to Lavy's relationship with Hamerlik so that could be nixed as well, if an islander fan could give us some insight on that it would be appreciated.

The Canes are 2-0-0 under Laviolette going into tonight and right now we're not looking to move any forwards until they give Lavy reason to do so. Jeff O'Neill scored the game winning goal in overtime of Lavy's first game as our coach so I think that endeared him right away.

Right now it's a little too early to say who Lavy wants to keep around and quite honestly if we keep winning I think he'll keep this team exactly the way it is. The only problem with the chemistry of this team might have been the system that put a strain on it.