View Single Post
03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
STL fan in IA
vCash: 500
I think some of Petro's subpar play can be attributed to him being paired with a revolving door of mediocre d-men this season (mostly Cole and Redden) but a lot of Petro's mistakes have absolutely nothing to do with who he's out there with and to be honest, someone in Norris consideration should be able to play with pretty much any partner. I think stabilizing the left side of the D would certainly help Petro but he's just been "off" this season. Whether that's because he's trying to focus just on offense because he's up for a contract and/or he's trying to emulate Karlsson, I don't know but he's just been a bit off this season.

I would say though that I think Petro's defense was a bit overrated last season. He was certainly better last season than this season but so were the goaltenders and team defense. The entire team isn't playing as well defensively as they were last season so a lot more mistakes are ending up in the back of the Blues' net this season than last because a lot of mistakes last season were stopped by Halak/Elliott or another player making a great recovery play. That's not happening near as much this season and Petro's offense first mentality and defensive mistakes are being exposed more prominently as a result.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote