View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
You have an opinion, so do I. Stuart may be a physical dman, but he's also asked to play a defensive role.

Kulda and Stuart are both much more physical dmen, than Hainsey. Stuart is a physical, 1st unit pk, shot blocking dman, so I would consider him more of a defensive dman. Stuart gets into trouble being flat-footed and unable to move laterally well enough against better forwards. So Kulda's skating, and positional play, likely gives him an edge. That would allow Kulda to be a shut down pairing dman, cause he would be able to 'hang' with bigger, skilled forwards like Malkin, Staal, etc.
But Hainsey is a big, ok skating dman, who does not hit, and is also out of position a ton (though not as bad as Stuart, I agree). Cause hainsey is not physical at all, Kulda's comparison doesn't fit for me. Also, Hainsey's first pass is atrocious most of the time, and jumps into the offensive play at ill-advised times. Kulda would have less risk in his 'offensive' game.

If anything, you take the best of Hainsey (better skating, 'better' positionally) and Stuart's physical play (which has made him a fan favorite)and you get Kulda. If Kulda shows he can make a suitable 1st pass, he's ahead of both, imo.

Though, it does seem to me that he can slide into that top 4 spot opposite Bogo, replacing Hainsey, for an improved shutdown pairing.
If kulda comes in and proves himself as the Heir apparent 2nd pairing LHD I will be over the moon.

I don't know if he really quite has that skill level in him, i haven't watched enough of him, and what i can find written by scouting sources they don't seem too sold on him having that upside, but i will differ judgement until i watch him some more.

If he can LEGITImATELY replace hainsey, that puts us in a fantastic position. Hainsy is our probably our most valuable rental chip right now, and if Kulda truly does show himself to be a top 4 capable d man it makes him expendable.

that being said, there would have to be zero questions regarding Kulda's ability to fill that role for me to still be comfortable actively shopping Hainsey.

For all his warts, Unless kulda proves he's it, there is no alternative to hainsey in our system, and a low chance of acquriing one on the market this summer. If Kulda can truly pull off second pairing minutes, it's a gigantic boost to this organization.