View Single Post
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
He can do those things, but can he do them at an Olympic level? I don't want Kunitz out there agianst Malkin or the Sedins, I can tell you that. Agreed on your second sentence; the guy's a pretty good player, but we need to put him in a position to succeed. Crosby's played with him a few years now, so they've developed some good chemistry, but a superior player (think Tavares) would probably produce better results and also give you flexibility if that pairing doesn't work out. With Kunitz, you don't really get that same versatility.
He's not going to be one of the main PKers (why would he when guys like Toews, Richards, etc are going to be there) but he could still do a job in the PK rotation. Kunitz plays with Crosby on the Pens so he has been matched up against strong lines before so I wouldn't be too worried about that.
What you give up in flexibility (personally I don't think it's much given the other players Canada will be carrying) you gain by the fact you know he has established chemistry with your best player (and Kunitz would still be the 3rd wheel on the line). Obviously Kunitz's going to need to be putting up at least a 60 point pace to get considered but I definitely think it's worth a look given how they struggled to find a guy to fit with Iginla and Crosby in 2010. Kunitz - Crosby - Perry would be a line I look as I think both fit well with Crosby's game well (though it might be slightly different as it's Olympic size ice).