Thread: Speculation: Fixing Team Defense...
View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Yup. Never have I seen so many above-average transition defensemen play so ******* poorly in transition.

As for personnel, the forwards should've been something like this after the summer:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-X-Y
Z-W-Kaleta

With the consonants being above average defensive forwards (McClement, Glass, etc). They didn't, and Ellis, Grigorenko, McCormick, Gerbe etc have largely been black holes where possession goes to die.

On D, they needed to jettison Leopold, who sucked in his own end last season before sucking everywhere this year, and use that cap/roster space to stabilize the Myers pairing and entire blueline with another capable shutdown defenseman. We all see how that went.

As for next year, Grigs throws a wrench in the above structure, but given no blockbuster deals:
Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Penner-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Bozak-Zubrus?
Foligno-Grigorenko-Tropp/Thompson

Smid/Scuderi-Myers
Sekera-Ehrhoff
McNabb-White
Loods?

Don't get too caught up in the specifics, Penner is a general "buy low depth forward" and pretty much could turn into anyone between here and now. I'm generally just pouring over the UFA list, and a lot of these spots could be filled via smaller trades rather than a relatively weak UFA class.
I'm not good with short form/nicknames, are you talking about J-G-L (not Joseph Gordon-Levitt ) or Visnovsky?

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote