View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
He's not going to be one of the main PKers (why would he when guys like Toews, Richards, etc are going to be there) but he could still do a job in the PK rotation. Kunitz plays with Crosby on the Pens so he has been matched up against strong lines before so I wouldn't be too worried about that.
What you give up in flexibility (personally I don't think it's much given the other players Canada will be carrying) you gain by the fact you know he has established chemistry with your best player (and Kunitz would still be the 3rd wheel on the line). Obviously Kunitz's going to need to be putting up at least a 60 point pace to get considered but I definitely think it's worth a look given how they struggled to find a guy to fit with Iginla and Crosby in 2010. Kunitz - Crosby - Perry would be a line I look as I think both fit well with Crosby's game well (though it might be slightly different as it's Olympic size ice).
Yeah, Kunitz needs to be scoring bucketloads of points to get consideration, I think. Much like Marleau and his insane start to this season, we'll probably see Kunitz cool off here pretty soon. His career high in points is 61, so its possible that this current hot streak is an anomlay. But its also possible that this is his new standard, with the way Crosby has been playing this year.

You mentioned Perry; why not Kunitz-Crosby-Neal? A built-in Penguins line (Letang would play the point while they're on the ice), and Neal > Perry this year, and the two play a somewhat similar style. It would be interesting to think of that line and how they would perform on the larger ice surface. And I'm not a proponent of Perry on the international ice surface anyway. He's playing better now, but didn't start out the season up to his fairly high standards.