View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
This is how I felt a the quarter mark of the season:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
The Dallas Stars are no better or worse than I expected this year. The negative are obvious, and we've all debated them.

There are at least some positives. Dallas is 2-1-1 at home, and they're actually close to respectable (3-4) on the road. After this 3 game road trip starting on next Tuesday, Dallas goes on a run of 14 home games in the next 20 all the way to the trade deadline. They'll need to build up a substantial cushion in this part of the season (roughly 50% of the schedule) to have a solid chance at the playoffs.

Despite my doubts they an do it, all I really want to see is Dallas playoff hockey. I don't want to invest in the belief they can get it done when the problems of the past 4 years continue to plague them today. Actually believing they can get it done only to be crushed with another 9-10 finish would be unbearable. I'm hopeful but not exactly optimistic, and I still think the quality of trade assets Dallas has may be too good to pass up. It'll be interesting to see how this thing plays out.
Dallas finished 6-5-1 after 12 games, and they went 6-5-1 in the next 12 games. They really didn't make up any ground at the half way point of the season.

The team sits 10th in the West and 18th in the league. Based on points % they are 9th in the West and 17th in the league. They've actually lost ground in this regard since the quarter mark of the season.

That said, there is much more to be optimistic about right now. They've played so much better as a team, and I think had Lehtonen been healthy we'd have seen a much improved record in the 2nd quarter of the season. Mark Stepneski ran the numbers if you're interested in the details, but this is a team trending upwards.

The 3rd quarter of the season will determine how their season ends. They have 9 of 12 games at home, and we've seen in the past where the Stars have blown their season with poor home stands late in the year. They need to pick up points in March when April is so road heavy.

I still wouldn't call myself optimistic the team makes the playoffs, but I definitely feel like the chances of them getting in are better now.