View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
A lot of people made good points about how he wasn't great early on, but his offensive contribution was still acceptable, and so was his general play. I never got the feeling that he floated ... I appreciated his passing skills early on and I thought he always found a way to get at least 2-3 good scoring chances night in night out. He wasn't dominant, but he was playing a solid 5 on 5 game. people looking back saying he was ''beyond garbage'' is just ridiculous. If you want to label him a 3rd liner its fine, but I'd rather consider him a complete top 9 forward that contributes the way you want him to. In his worst games this year I felt he was still one of the best to apply puck pressure and cause turnovers,
It's still true. On the forecheck, while he produces some offense lately, he's still pathetic. He's ineffective, skates right next to the player, gives a little tap on his stick and then skates back in the neutral zone. He loses almost every single 1 on 1 battle along the boards, something he was good at earlier in his career. The difference is that he started getting to the net again, and to start off the year, he was just doing those patented weak slappers that ended up on the goalie's chest anyway.

I know a couple of guys here jump on ridiculously small samples to make a point, but Gionta WAS pathetic and was NOT producing offensively earlier this season.

3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points in 18 games is decent numbers in your opinion, for a guy who is paid 5 millions per year? He was not even going to the net anymore.

And stop saying he's contributing even when not producing. In a 2-men forechecking team, Gionta is going to be lost more often than not. He was developed playing anti-hockey with the Devils and learned to trap at his own blueline. Forechecking and putting pressure on a d-man is not natural for him, it will never be, and more likely than not, if he's not traded before the end of his contract, he'll not be re-signed.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote