View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 02:53 PM
BigKing
Too Funky

vCash: 500
Tkachuk is my all-time favorite player but he wasn't close to Lindros and, really, nobody was really close to Eric when he was healthy.

Tkachuk is definitely under rated due to his best years being in Winnipeg and Phoenix, his perceived poor perfomance in the playoffs and then his weight gain during the '04 Lockout. Younger posters on HF weren't able to witness his prime but they have been here to perpetuate the fat jokes to the point it's almost forgotten that he is the only US-born player to lead the league in goals and was a terror in the 90s.

As for the HHOF, he deserves to be in there. 500 goals and 1,000 points along with over 2,200 PIMS while playing the majority of his prime in the dead puck era. Led the league in goals in 96-97 while also racking up over 220 PIMS. Easily one of the best players in the league at standing in front of the net and tipping shots back when you had to be a man to stand in front of the net. Youngest captain in Jets history and a key memeber of the '96 US World Cup team, wearing an "A" while being the meanest guy on the team. Breaking Claude Lemieux's nose in front of the US bench should be looked at as one of the finer moments in hockey history

Guy was a stud who, unfortunately, played for a franchise during his prime that didn't get out of the first round of the playoffs until last season. Best shot they had was in 96-97 but lost in 7 to Anaheim but Tkachuk was a monster in that series. He gets a bad rap for his playoff performances, but he was great for Phoenix in what I believe was their best team during Tkachuk's time in Winnipeg/Phoenix. Not that Chicago was a juggernaut in the mid-90s, but I would have loved to see Winnipeg walk away from matching the offer sheet he signed with Chicago so he could have been a Hawk.

What could keep him out of the HHOF is the contract holdout(s) and the Nagano incident, although I don't believe anyone was officially fingered for the hotel room trashing.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote