Thread: Speculation: Fixing Team Defense...
View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
sabresandcanucks

vCash: 500
My recommendations,

Trade Regehr and Leo for some type of return. Target defensemen who have a Dan Hamhuis skill set...aka,

Decent mobility
Highly intelligent
Good outlet passer
Decent shot
Good shot blocker
Can cover for his partners mistakes
Not overly big, but still physical.

I've always liked Kevin Klein out of Nashville...even if he doesn't quite live up to the standards of a Hamhuis.

Smid might be the only guy available via UFA this summer. Others will need to be acquired via trade. If none are available, or the asking price is too much, stay pat and give McNabb and Pysyk some OTJ training. This team likely is not going to win anything next year.

I see the team having 3 defensemen that are worthy of being in the nhl next year....Myers, Ehrhoff, and Sekera with Weber being the 7th man. They need to find 3 additional players who can complement the top 3 better than what they currently have.

They also need to let certain guys play to their strengths.

Ehrhoff needs to be allowed to pinch/join the rush. He should not be killing penalties nor put out against the oppositions top line. He needs to be more active on the point on the PP.

Myers - Similar to above. He needs a partner who will cover for his gaffes and needs to be given the green light to join rushes/move down low in the offensive zone. When he is active in the offensive zone he is engaged...when he is engaged he plays better defensively and appears to have more confidence with the puck. Unlike Ehrhoff, he should be getting PK time but he cannot be relied upon to be the anchor on the PK.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote