View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 04:39 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Sounds fun. My son's team, in typical fashion, roared out to a 4-0 lead by the mid-way point of the game, only to give up the next 7 and lose 7-4. He freaked out in the handshake line and we had a bit of a talking to afterwards. He was resting on the laurels of what was one of his best games last outing and while he skated his little tail off, he didn't go anywhere he was supposed to. Five or six times the puck came to where he was supposed to be in front of the other team's net and he was either already back on defense, standing at center ice, or in one classic instance, yelling at no one with his back to the play.

I have no issue with him being passionate and wanting to win. I do have a major, major issue with him not taking the coaching AND freaking out in the handshake lineup. There was a bit more poor sportsmanship too, involving his own teammates. He's lucky I didn't ground him until the next millenium. Smashing his stick on the ice repeatedly at the end of the game? Suffice to say, the blade was already cracked when he did that a few weeks ago when he failed to score and pounded it on the ice.

Unless he has a massive change of heart, he's probably done with hockey. The downside, according to him, is they added another game in the loser's bracket and his team has one more game in two weeks.
Venting their frustration in a negative manner is one of the few things that I get on my kids about.

The cool thing is the positive feedback that I've gotten from a lot of parents about how my first season as a head coach has gone.

We have one family who won't be back and are blaming the increase cost associated with the move from U8 to Squirts. They didn't come to the tournament this weekend (our one out of town tournament of the year) because they didn't want to spend the money.

Last season, the Squirt B team played in three tournaments (in Cleveland and Pittsburgh and the tournament we host).

This year we played in four tournaments. Three loca ones (Perinton, Brockport, and our tournament) and then Pepsi in Buffalo. And the parents voted on whether to go to Pepsi and it was a 13-1 vote.....

I think everyone that went this weekend had a blast.