View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Makes stupid decisions daily. [Players going from healthy scratch to playing 22mins per night <- has happened at least 3 times this season] is but ONE example.

We DID have injuries and key players out of the lineup, I'll give you that but it's more about questionable calls that happen regularly.

- Tyson Barrie being out of the lineup after what he showed over 10 games is moronic. Matt Hunwick turns the puck over a minimum of 3 times per game and stays in the lineup.
Tyson Barrie is still a rookie and rookies around the league aren't getting much leeway. Look at how the Rangers are handling Chris Kreider constantly sent up and down more often than a rollercoaster. Or how the Oilers are utilizing Yakupov by not even using him in close games in the 3rd period ahead of stiffs like Smyth.

Quote:
- Matt Duchene on the point on the Power Play DID NOT WORK last year and it didn't work for 10 games this year either but it was tried and tried and tried without success.
I hear what you're saying, but who else can Sacco realistically use on the point in that situation? I'm fairly curious.

Quote:
Stuff like that.

There are teams with less talent that are doing much better than .500 with good coaching, guys that actually have systems and can ADAPT during games. All we've seen from Sacco over the years is: dump the puck in, go get it and work hard. That's not enough to be competitive in this league.
Really? That's exactly the system John Tortorella employs along with many other coaches. That's the most generic use of systematic play using the dump and chase method, all teams use it. The Avs have great high end talent in Stastny Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly and Johnson and I don't think any of those players are being underutilized. The rest of the roster looks very shady at best, in fact I think Sacco's done really well relative to the talent he has on the roster.

Quote:
This is not unlike Granato having an all-star team in 2003 and getting SCHOOLED by Jacques Lemaire and a hard working but much less talented Wild team in the playoffs. Granato didn't know what to do and neither does Sacco on most nights. It's just more of the same dump & chase, be first on the puck and hope we play harder than our opponent on any given night.
That's the system that should be employed by coaches. A system that encourages players to work harder than the other team. Again John Tortorella has the exact same ideology when on offense. We never carry it into the zone and rely on out-muscling/outworking the opposition with the dump and chase.

Quote:
Honestly, you could put a fishbowl with a goldfish in it behind the bench as head coach of this team and I'm not sure the results would be very different than what we've seen this year.
I think that's very harsh. Sacco should have no credit for the development of Duchene Landeskog, ROR amongst others who he started with?