View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 05:37 PM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Yeah, Duchene has been great so far this year. Of course it's only barely past 20 games, but it's still noteworthy. It's also helpful that he's probably the fastest skater Canada has, and training with Crosby in the summer can't hurt either. I think he's played LW for Colorado a bit last year, and for Canada at a few WCs.

I would probably pick Richards if the Olympics started today. He could be used mainly on the PK, has plenty of experience from the Olympics and playoffs, good skater and he tends to raise his game for big moments. Out of the guys you listed, the only one I have a hard time seeing on Canada is Carter. Once his goal scoring cools off his name will disappear.
Well, you know what you're gonna get with Richards and he offers a low-risk option that can kill penalties and play in defensive situations. If the OGs started today, yeah, I'd probably have him there (barely). We are a bit light on the PKers (Bergeron, Toews, Sharp, Nash, I guess Giroux/Staal). However, in a year from now, a guy like Benn may give us just as much value in a defensive and energy-type role, plus offer substantially more offensive upside. All of the guys on the list, save maybe Neal, have significantly more upside potential than Richards and still have time to develop their games between now and December. I'm projecting a bit here, but think Richards will get passed by a few of the guys on that list.

I wouldn't mention Carter if not for the fact that he was the guy slated to fill in for Getzlaf in 2010 if Getzlaf's ankle wasn't good to go for Vancouver. So obviously he's already on Hockey Canada's radar, and he's done nothing but bring his game back to his 2009-2011 level this season. Perhaps a longshot, but who knows?