View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 06:54 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
i think it's pretty evident by now that he can't succeed in this system. that's not saying the system is bad in fact it is saying bryz kinda sucks cause he can only be good when the team is playing one way. but who exactly are you gonna put in there and expect to win? leighton? leighton can't play well in any system lets be real.

after the type of seasons smith has had recently he'll be getting a significant raise this offseason and i'm not sold on him anyway as he was atrocious in TB as well as this year (he's actually been worse then bryz). howard isn't leaving detroit and everyone else is old/injury prone.

i would have no problem amnestying bryz if there was anyone else i had any confidence that could do any better available.
Like I said, you and I agree that maybe Lavi should be done. Quite frankly I'm really tired of the consistent 1 out of 3 periods with solid energy/effort, wasting our skill on the dump ins, the inability to adjust our game plan at all when teams like NJ totally neutralize our dump ins, the tired excuses, etc. I'd be fine with a coaching change and a system change, but the goalie needs to go too.

As far as who we bring in, no of course not Leighton. Not Smith either unless he comes cheap. Maybe Howard, there's a chance he leaves IMO because I think Detroit's immediate future chances of contending look somewhat bleak. Backstrom is another option depending on the price; he's only 2.5 years older than Bryz. Tim Thomas could be a stopgap option too.

But definitely not Leighton. Goalies aren't an "all or nothing" type thing... you know that, right? There are goalies in between franchise types who require 5+ year commitments of ridiculous amounts of money and the Leightons of the world. And teams have used these types of goalies to win championships. We could too. The Red Wings won w/ an over the hill Hasek / a way past his prime backup (Osgood) who came in in relief. The Blackhawks won w/ Niemi who they viewed as a stopgap type and subsequently let him go rather than pay him the 2.75M he was awarded in arbitration. And the Blackhawks are dominating the league once again with two stopgap type goalies.

Is there a great long-term option out there? Maybe not. But why do we need a 5+ year option in net? There's nothing wrong with getting an older goalie who can stop pucks for 1-2 years then re-evaluating things after he retires / his contract is up. Snagging Tim Thomas on a 1 year deal + a competent backup (Montoya?) should still cost much less than Bryz + Leighton/Boosh do this year, and given the way Thomas was playing in 2012, I'd have no problem with that. Or we could grab Ray Emery for a year, I'd have no problem with that. And either of those plans would allow us to re-evaluate the position in the 2014 offseason, when Lundqvist, Miller, Hiller, Dubnyk are all expected to be UFAs. You'd expect Lundqvist to re-sign, but who knows, maybe he gets fed up w/ Torts and w/ the inability to go far in the postseason and looks elsewhere. Miller and Hiller though at a minimum should both make it to UFA status.

Or we could always trade for a good young goalie (Bernier, Schneider, one of Ottawa's goalies, etc.).

There are plenty of options for life without Bryzgalov. We need to pick one.