View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah its been a struggle for him the season for sure.

To me it has to do with preparation. A guy like Cally who came into this league with a limited skill set has gotten better each and every year. Its not something that just pops up out of mid-air. You have to work at your craft. I'm not saying Gaborik is lazy, but his commitment to staying hungry isnt as strong as it once was or should be. Its obvious this lockout has helped some and hurt others (see Richards). Gabby could have gotten sidetracked with the time off - BUT - I dont want to make excuses though, because hes getting paid tons of money. Quite frankly, you can't use that excuse. Not in this town - its just a fact.

Listen, its not like we hate the guy. Its just frustrating when he flashes supreme talent for a couple games and then just disappears. There were games last season when he was playing like a man possessed. Where did that go? Its just a matter of effort level. If you are in shape, all it is a mindset that you have to force each night you hit the ice. Some nights it wont be there for you, it happens. But these long apathetic stretches from him make fans question his desire and rightly so - especially when we've seen what he's capable of and how wonderful he is to watch when he's moving out there.

We all want him to succeed. Need him to succeed. I have faith in every Ranger to come through, that belief is always there (no matter how desperate it may be at times). Same goes for Gaborik. But he seriously has to pick it up. I dont care how many goals or points hes had in the last dozen or so games. I'd rather see him playing the way he should getting tons of chances he can't bury then what im seeing from him now. Its not good. He just needs to simplify his game and break it down into a shift by shift effort. The end result (points) shouldnt matter right now. He needs to break out of this malaise hes in and just concentrate on playing hard every shift.
Well said.

For me, it's all about effort level. As long as someone is working hard out there and creating chances, I'm happy. Gaborik needs to have a consisent effort level.