View Single Post
Old
03-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Qyburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It would be livable
Then you have your answer. No further explanations of cap intricacies required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I understand what you are saying. But say the Flyers buyout Bryz, and sign say, Nabokov who has almost identical stats on a bad Islanders team. You save 3.5-4 Million. You sign Dan Ellis who has played well in spot starts this year. He has the same numbers as Bryz you save almost 4 million. Look at the list of FA's, think you can get someone decent for 4 mil? Maybe Luongo gets bought out?

Like I said, you can get the same production with paying far far less.
I think Luongo's a pipe dream. I'd probably be willing to give Nabokov a try to be honest. Although I think there's a good chance his best years are likely behind him, while I don't feel that way about Bryz. I'd feel more confident giving Bryz more chances to continue to refine his game than resting my hopes that Nabokov pulls a TT (though if someone could, he's a candidate). Ellis I wouldn't even consider, in any situation other than one in which the team has completely committed to rebuilding.

Backstrom, Smith and possibly Nabokov. Those are the only ones who are A) (probably) not a downgrade B) have a halfway reasonable chance of becoming Flyers. The problem is it's only a halfway reasonable chance, as the former 2 are in demand by teams with space.

And on top of that, I give Bryz as much high risk upside as Backstrom if not more.