View Single Post
Old
03-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Holden Caulfield
Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
So who is this Muzzin guy for the Kings? Never heard of him before.

Drafted by the Pens in 2007 in the latter rounds. Signed as a free agent by the Kings a few years ago. Had a cup of coffee in the NHL last season.

When I was checking out the stats of the LA-Calgary game tonight (2-0 LA so far), I noticed he had a couple assists. Checked his personal profile and he already has 5 goals and 5 assists in 21 games (including tonight).

Big guy too. 6'3" and 220 lbs. He's a rookie defenseman and with those types of offensive numbers you would think he would be mentioned as a Calder trophy candidate, unless he is terrible defensively of course. Still, I haven't heard his name mentioned this season, much less as one of the up-and-coming rookies.

Can anyone tell me about this guy and what kind of game he plays?
Muzzin is an interesting case. He went unsigned by Calgary then was a fairly highly recruited overager in junior. Then made the Kings out of camp in 10-11 but was overwhelmed and sent back when the blueline got healthy. Both him and 07 4th overall D Thomas Hickey were waiver eligible this year and it was well known only one was going to make the team. Beat out Hickey for the spot.

As for playing style, his scouting report reads a lot like Paul Postma, with the occasional big hit thrown in. Is a very solid skater, good shot (that he knows how to get through), moves the puck well, gets lost in the defensive zone at times, still working on his positioning, throws a few big hits but not overly physical, wins board battles, makes some gaffes with the puck leaving you wondering. He is a solid 3rd pairing guy, with #3/4 upside.

Right now Muzzin is benefiting from all the teams focus on Doughty. He has played quite a bit with Doughty this season, and it is amazing how much the teams cheat towards Doughty, leaving Muzzin wide open quite a bit. Recently Muzzin has been playing top pairing PP with Voynov and that unit has been fantastic. Not too Muzzin hasn't been solid, he is making the most of his opportunity that's for sure. Outplaying Martinez by quite a bit, who was quite solid last season for the Kings.