Old
03-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Tatar, Lashoff, and Kindl are the keepers, to me at least. Holland likes his home-grown talent, and those guys can play (much to the chagrin of some). Kindl and Lashoff will likely never get past the 2nd pairing, but two big guys who can actually play and came from within seem like they'd stick. Tatar, well, if they get rid of him, I'll have to add another tick in the "Crazy" column; kid's a player, and him and Nyquist on a line with someone like Datsyuk -- or even a speedy, puck retriever like Helm -- would be ridiculous.

Andersson is still a bit of an enigma to me: Is he a solid 3rd/4th line center, or does he have the potential to move up the lineup? Does anyone think he might be groomed to take on the role of Holmstrom? He seems to have some great hand-eye coordination, he's big, and he has some skill; could be just what Dr. Rahmani ordered for a net-front guy going forward. I mean, if he's willing to take the punishment, that's a damned nice niche he could carve for himself.
I think all of the kids up right now are keepers, until we get something better. They're cheap, they work, and they're getting better. With Andersson, I think at the very least he's a bottom6 guy - if not at center, then on the wing. Quit paying Eaves $1.2m or shifting through the waiver wire to fill these roles, and just keep the kid.

With Nyquist, Tatar, and Jarnkrok...next year we should have the skill to still build three good pairings up front: Z-Brunner, Datsyuk-Franzen, Helm-Sammy. Just put a kid in the vacant wing spots on each line and run with it. Or if we re-sign Flip, or sign a UFA center, bump Helm down to the fourth line and we're even deeper.

Bertuzzi could be a bit of a wrench in things, but we should have some roster space next year to make some promotions. And if someone does have to start the year in GR, we have a bunch of guys who typically get injured at least once a year and miss ~10 games. There will be opportunities call someone up. As long as we don't go out and sign another bunch of middle of the road players...