View Single Post
Old
03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think all of the kids up right now are keepers, until we get something better. They're cheap, they work, and they're getting better. With Andersson, I think at the very least he's a bottom6 guy - if not at center, then on the wing. Quit paying Eaves $1.2m or shifting through the waiver wire to fill these roles, and just keep the kid.

With Nyquist, Tatar, and Jarnkrok...next year we should have the skill to still build three good pairings up front: Z-Brunner, Datsyuk-Franzen, Helm-Sammy. Just put a kid in the vacant wing spots on each line and run with it. Or if we re-sign Flip, or sign a UFA center, bump Helm down to the fourth line and we're even deeper.

Bertuzzi could be a bit of a wrench in things, but we should have some roster space next year to make some promotions. And if someone does have to start the year in GR, we have a bunch of guys who typically get injured at least once a year and miss ~10 games. There will be opportunities call someone up. As long as we don't go out and sign another bunch of middle of the road players...
Other than Jarnkrok (which would be a stretch), that still a pretty stagnant roster, and it really is a tough thing to predict: Will Holland stand-pat like most people think, or will he surprise everyone and make some significant moves? If not at the deadline, perhaps the off-season?

Can't please all the people all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Other teams have done well without a Holmstrom. I think we should aim for the same success and let go of the past.
Well it seems that nearly every team now puts a guy in front of the goalie a-la Holmstrom, so doing away with that would mean having a lot more skill on the PP -- which, at this point, the Wings don't have.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote