View Single Post
Old
03-12-2013, 11:36 AM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
EDM has to re-sign Smid, Fistric and Pekham on D. That should be about 7m. Then they have to get a replacement for Whitney's 4m. So 11m added to that 20m in space. After that, they get the raises to Hall and Eberle, plus raises due to Gagner, possibly PRV, Jones, Hartikainen and Lander...

They're at 67m now. Have to drop 3m overall, with no big salaries leaving the club (other than Whitney, which they will look to replace), and big raises to Eberle and Hall. Short of making a capgeek mock, they've got some tough choices ahead.

A lot will come down to what they pay Gagner and Smid. They may simply get rid of Whitney's salary and have a poor defense too, but I doubt it.
Capgeek has them at $45m for next year, that includes Hall and Eberle.

So that's $19m in space with the following RFAs: Gagner, Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Peckham. Other than Gagner I don't think you have any real trouble brewing there.

In terms of UFAs they have Whitney, Khabibulin, Smid, Sutton, Ryan Jones, Fistric, Potter and Yann Danis.

Out of all of those players I see Gagner, Smid, and Fistric as guys likely to get substantial raises.

Other players will have to be replaced but I am guessing that they can get similar contributions for much less than they are paying guys like Khabibulin and Whitney (who is not even in the lineup at this point).

Anyway I'm not saying it's all sunshine and roses for the Oilers but they can afford to pay Gagner what he's worth. If he's worth enough to throw their cap situation into turmoil he almost certainly would do the same here.

Quote:
Thing is, no one knows if PRV can secure an NHL roster spot long-term. He's not nearly direct enough in his game to be a regular bottom6 guy. He also fails to utilize his skillset in a top6 role. So what is he really?

They will move PRV eventually I think, and what better way to shore up their defense than to get a devalued top4 in return? I think it makes great sense for them. The major stumbling block being inter-divisional trades.
Yeah I don't see Tambo dealing with the Canucks unless it's a clear win for his team. And I doubt Mike Gillis is super interested in offering up that kind of trade..