View Single Post
Old
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Capgeek has them at $45m for next year, that includes Hall and Eberle.

So that's $19m in space with the following RFAs: Gagner, Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Peckham. Other than Gagner I don't think you have any real trouble brewing there.

In terms of UFAs they have Whitney, Khabibulin, Smid, Sutton, Ryan Jones, Fistric, Potter and Yann Danis.

Out of all of those players I see Gagner, Smid, and Fistric as guys likely to get substantial raises.

Other players will have to be replaced but I am guessing that they can get similar contributions for much less than they are paying guys like Khabibulin and Whitney (who is not even in the lineup at this point).

Anyway I'm not saying it's all sunshine and roses for the Oilers but they can afford to pay Gagner what he's worth. If he's worth enough to throw their cap situation into turmoil he almost certainly would do the same here.

Yeah I don't see Tambo dealing with the Canucks unless it's a clear win for his team. And I doubt Mike Gillis is super interested in offering up that kind of trade..

It was my mistake, I wasn't factoring in the bonus cushion. Here's the line-up:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Shawn Horcoff ($5.500m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
Ryan Smyth ($2.250m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($0.951m) / Sam Gagner ($4.500m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
Ryan Jones ($1.500m) / Eric Belanger ($1.750m) / Ben Eager ($1.100m)
Teemu Hartikainen ($0.927m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Schultz ($3.775m) / Nick Schultz ($3.500m)
Ladislav Smid ($4.250m) / Ryan Whitney ($4.000m)
Theo Peckham ($1.475m) / Jeff Petry ($1.750m)
Mark Fistric ($1.475m) /
GOALTENDERS
Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
Yann Danis ($0.800m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,466,542; BONUSES: $8,550,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,655,958

So if they take Whitney out of that, they can more than fit, yet their D is worse than it was this year... and the team up front is the same. So a worse team overall. The only way they improve is to turn Jones+Whitney into a good player, without taking much else away from their roster, and hope their young guys take steps forward.

They need veteran players that are medium to good contributors ASAP. For a team pushing the cap, their results aren't there at all. Of course, you could say the same about the Canucks right now...