Thread: Marian Gaborik
View Single Post
Old
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Of course. But this is a season in which 90% of the emphasis should be on playoff performance.
The honeymoon was over for Gaborik after last year's playoffs (in my eyes). The player we are seeing in this regular season is the same player that I saw in the '11-'12 playoffs. I think we were all quick to cut him some slack during last year's run because he had just potted 41 goals and was working through the shoulder injury, but that slack is running out very quickly.

What I'm seeing this season is either a player that is still injured, or one that just doesn't bring it when the compete level ramps up. The shortened season has rendered almost every game playoff-like, and Gaborik has simply not performed near the level he needs to to both justify his contract and help the team. This is a disturbing trend for a key player on a supposed Cup contender.

I really want this guy to succeed and it would be great to see him regain his form and continue it through the post-season. But, I would also not be upset to see him traded, depending on the return obviously. It doesn't make sense to trade him for a package of pluggers, but if I had the choice between Gaborik and his 40 goals and a more physical 30+ goal guy I would pull the trigger without hesitation. The problem is, there aren't many players like that in the league, and a few of them are on our division/conference rivals - Neal, Hartnell, Voracek, Pacioretty, etc.